The National Institutes of Health have been funding a number of clinical trials, one of the focuses of which has been Hypnosis in contemporary medicine.
This particular subject has been reviewed by James H Stewart, M.D., of the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida. Dr. Stewart, while highlighting the basic concepts of Hypnosis, also reviewed the results of many clinical trials of Hypnosis in treating a variety of medical conditions.
He conducted brain tests while people were actually undergoing Hypnosis and his findings were most interesting and particularly damaging to the opinions of naysayers and doubters of the treatment. For instance, he found that it isn’t simply a matter of following instructions, but an actual change in the perception of the brain.
Also, and this will come as a nasty shock to those who hold Hypnosis up to ridicule, it is emphatically not a placebo, nor is it a state of sleep. This comes as no surprise to those of us who know anything at all about Hypnosis. It simply re-enforces the facts that have been in plain view for years.
Dr. Stewart noted 10 benefits of Hypnosis in treating the following;
1. Anesthesia and pain relief during surgery. You may remember that we saw this in a previous article concerning a young Canadian dentist who was operated upon without any form of anesthesia. He hypnotized himself, laughed and joked with the operating doctors and when the procedure was complete, simply dressed himself and walked out of the operating theatre.
2. Treatment of persistent Eczema.
3. Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
4. Peptic Ulcer Disease.
5. High Blood Pressure, ( Hypertension),
6. Obesity and general weight loss,
7. Chronic Tinnitus,
9. Impotence and
10. Type 2 Diabetes.
Diabetes 2 in particular is of great concern. In February 2007, GlaxoSmithKline used the website of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to announce a letter they wrote to doctors explaining how certain commonly used drugs can cause a considerable increase in the risk of bone fracture in women.
Again, in November 2007, European and U.S. diabetologists demanded greater caution in the use of medications like Avandia which has been linked to an increase in heart attacks. It seems as fruitless as it seems cruel to tell some poor person who’s been on these medications for some time, that he or she runs the risk of keeling over with a heart attack!
The benefits of Hypnosis with these conditions are just the tip of the iceberg. Dr. Stewart, for the purposes of this report, wasn’t concerned with the tremendous benefits of Hypnosis in respect of mental conditions.
In the past fifty years, there have been a great many studies carried out on the benefits of Hypnosis, a lot of them by highly qualified physicians like Dr. Stewart in well regulated conditions and institutions. Self hypnosis, too, is highly recommended, provided it’s taught by qualified individuals. It’s a way of building a bridge between the conscious and subconscious mind.
The benefits, of course, are enormous. Reports vary greatly as to what percentage of our minds we use; some say 2%, others 4%, yet others put the figure at 10%, which personally I consider rather high, but even allowing for that, it still leaves 90% untapped.
Mike Bond telling us of the way the medical profession is coming around to the use of Hypnosis for physical conditions. You can learn a great deal more on his Website, at The Hypnosis Attraction and wouldn’t you like to learn Hypnosis yourself? Simply by clicking the word Hypnosis, you’ll be able to do just that!